Friday, May 11, 2012

May's Salute to Parents Blog Hop at ScrapbookPlace

At ScrapbookPlace, we are celebrating our moms and/or dads--after all, where would we be without them??   You guessed it, our May blog hop theme is Mothers' and Fathers' Day--make a card, a layout, altered art, anything goes. 

If you hopped to my blog from ScrapbookPlace Challenge Blog, then my friend, you are on the right track.  If not, start here

Here is my Mother's Day card:
Let me share a little oops that turned out to be a quick time saver.  My printer didn't print the black very well, so I used a dark grey Copic to color the image to make it look crisp.  Then I fussy cut the cameo.  I cut out the parts that aren't black that you are supposed to see the background.  Well, it looked really jagged and didn't like it much.  So I trashed that one.  Then I went on to this one.  I took the Copic and just colored everything since I was fussy cutting.  But, darn it, I forgot, what about the parts I have to cut out.  Well, I used the Colorless blender, took the color off those couple of spots and dabbed on the same Distress ink I used around the border of the oval and it blended in so well!  Nice save!

Here's what I used on this card:  Copics - W7, 0; Wild Honey - Tim Holtz Distress Ink by Ranger; Fleur De Lis Border Punch by EK Success; Pearls by Recollections, Say it in Pearls by Prima; Classic Ovals Large Nestibilities by Spellbinders; Handmade Flowers by Shannon Leffew; All paper (Grace collection) by Close to My Heart, Floppy Latte digi image.

Here's my Father's Day Card:
Very simple card for a very simple man.  My dad was born on the bayou.  Very down to earth.  This fits him to a "T."  Not to mention, he was a Navy man.

Here what I used on this card:  Copics - 0, B0000; All paper (Majectic Blue collection) Close to My Heart, Faded Jeans Tim Holtz Distress Ink by Ranger; Wooden Buttons by Close to My Heart, Blueberry Fancy Floss by We R Memory Keeper, Floppy Latte digi image.

I would like to thank my parent's, Terrel and Geraldine Richard, for raising me right.  We didn't have much growing up, but I remember being happy.  I may not have had Nikes and the fashionable clothes, but I remember them always loving me and loving to be home.  I remember being 15, a few months away from being 16, and moving from the city, to hicksville.  Literally.  Across the street from a pasture.  I had to be at the end of our drive way at 6:00 in the morning to catch the school bus!  I hated my parents for moving.  I threatened to run away and I was just unbearable.  But I thank them everyday for moving.  My life is so much better!  They are always there for me.  Everytime I've been to the ER or put in the hospital, they are right there.  I love them so much!  Ok, enough of that!

On with the hop.  Go over and check out what what beautiful creation Karissa has.
Here is the hop in case you get off track:
Mel - http://www.melissa-thoughtsonpaper.blogspot.com/ (You are here now)
Karissa - http://livelaughlovescrapbookstamp.blogspot.com/
Carolyn - http://luvmycards.blogspot.com/
Linda - http://scrappingheaven.blogspot.com/
Teresa - http://teresasscrappinspot.blogspot.com/
Diane - http://scrappindianeh.blogspot.com/
Anna - http://scrappenings.blogspot.com/
Pat - http://patacakespages.blogspot.com/
Your Scrapbook Place - http://yourscrapbookplace.blogspot.com/
One lucky hopper, that leaves some love on every blog, will receive gorgeous handmade flowers from our sponsor, our own Shannon Leffew!!  Yep, that's one of her gorgeous flowers on my card!

Thanks for hopping by ya'll!
Mel

8 comments:

Teresa said...

I love both cards Mel! Super job...i have a hard time with masculine cards...but you did an excellent job! Perfect! Hugs,T

Linda W. said...

Your cards are awesome Mel! Your work always is! I enjoyed the story as well. Your parents are very precious!

Pat said...

Love that silhouette on your card, and that you added pearls. Sometimes parents do things that a teen's mind just dopesn't understnad, but in the long run, it was only to beeter the future of their child, like in your case. Keep crafting!!

THERESA said...

These are both gorjuss, love the added pearls, buttons, lovely images too, tfs !!
lotsa luv

luvmycards.blogspot.com said...

Melissa very clever trick on the MD card and I adore the way you did the FD card! Especially the waves! Thanks for sharing your life with your folks!
Carolyn

Sue in CT said...

Great time saver. IF you didn't say that's what you did, I would have never known. Love your cards!

Charlene Mitchell said...

Great cards and love the bit you wrote about your parents!

wannabcre8tive said...

I am liking both of these. Awesome job.